Saturday, May 16, 2015

Week 6 - The Interactive Class & PowerPoint

Hello everybody!

This week we had to create an interactive PowerPoint.
Yes, using PowerPoint. But one might say, PowerPoint is for presentation; the audience listen and we present our ideas; right? It can be a challenge but we can do anything if we put our minds to it.

One excellent thing about making PowerPoint interactive is that students would not fall asleep during our lesson which can sometimes be too much of a 'lecture'. They need fun and excitement while learning English Language. What better way to learn but by playing language games. Inserting flashy and animated pictures, videos and music helps stimulate and motivate students to learn.

So the challenge is, how can we make PowerPoint interactive? To make it interactive, I have to have a two-way communication between me and my students. Okay, so the easiest way was to create a game using PowerPoint. I have done quizzes a few times, multiple choice questions, mix and match, I needed to find something I have not done before. (Needed to challenge myself too)


So it got me thinking, I had to make a game. Making Jeopardy was so much fun but I needed to do more. Not that Jeopardy was not interesting, but it was more for general knowledge. I need something to help my students in their vocabulary too. So, I asked uncle Google and eureka, I found that I could create the Hangman from PowerPoint. I had so much fun creating the Hangman game using PowerPoint! It was so much fun that I just could not stop making more.

After creating the game, I still needed to test it before I could run it with my students, besides they were having their semester's examination. So a few of my colleagues became my guinea pigs. Alas, they were so hooked to the game I had to pull my laptop away from them! Actually I only did 4 words so it did not take long for them to complete the game. But it proved that the game can capture anybody's attention and get them hook to it.

First run of the game was done, now I had to make it more animated and fun. Have to attract the students attention too. So make a few things fly in, spin around , make the slides colorful
and decorate the slides but keeping in mind not to make it too crowded and suitable for students.

If you want to learn how to create your own Hangman game, here's the link to the website:
http://www.pptalchemy.co.uk/PowerPoint_Hangman_Game.html

Have fun! I know I did. :)

I think I would use this as my technology tool to be used in the class as my school does not have strong internet connection and most of my students have no internet access. So I have to work with what I have. The downside of teaching in a rural school that lacks internet access. :(

But then, when there is a challenge staring at you, brace yourself and climb over it. Its great to challenge oneself to improve for the better.

Have great and fun week ahead!

Happy Teacher's Day!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Evette,

    Your students are lucky to work with you. You have creative thinking to make your class active and enthusiactic in tasks.

    Chi Dang
    Viet Nam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Evette,

    I like your ideas. The game will definitely make your class interactive. Thank you for the link. I will try to create one so that my students also get to be interactive.

    Thanks,

    Jason
    Kenya

    ReplyDelete